Sarah Blackmun-Eskow wrote:
> Good heavens, what a cliché! If you take that view, denying that societies
> have segments and interest groups, rich and poor, powerful and powerless,
> and everything in between and all about, then hoping for justice is
> pointless.

Really? I do not think so. Your second paragraph communicates what I
meant in the same line.
> My suggestion is: No society has just one set of expectations. It has many,
> and some win out over others, and some rise to power and then decline.

Exactly. But in the end, it is society that decides. Individuals make
choices based on their own expectations. All of this is encapsulated in
'Any society is the sum of it's expectations'. All the subsocietys,
everything else - it all falls under that. Response to pollution law is
the sum of the global society's expectations. Response to World Hunger
is the sum of the global society's expectations. And so it goes.

You talk about parts of society in your first paragraph. But they are
parts of a society. And their expectations are reflected in the sum.

If you want to change the world, perhaps the expectations are what are
most important to look at. Does a person in New York City have the same
expectations as someone in Port-Au-Prince, Haiti? When you look at what
people expect - and how high their expectations are, relatively speaking
- I think you'll find a trend.