From: Claude Almansi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [DDN] The future of DDN
To: "The Digital Divide Network discussion group"
<digitaldivide@digitaldivide.net>
Date: Saturday, 11 October, 2008, 11:43 AM

Hi All,

I am answering on the mailing-list (with Bcc to Adam Clare and Taran
Rampersad) rather than on the wiki because today I have a problem with
logging in at the wiki (1).

About:

"...To make the site easier to manage we propose the removal of the
communities functionality and discussion boards of DDN and replacing
the categorization system with tagging.
DDN's strength lies in the active mailing list and TIG realizes that
the mailing list isn't perfect. In an ideal setup the mailing list
will also be accessed online and have greater stability.
Online communities encourage discussions between users in more than
one place, right now that discussion happens on the mailing list for
DDN and less so on the website. To encourage more discussions we would
like to implement commenting on most DDN content. ..."
(in <http://wiki.digitaldivide.net/index.php?title=The_future_of_DDN>)

- Removal ot the communities and discussion boards: I agree; at first,
each community had its own discussion board, but this stopped (around
2005?), which meant that there could be no diaogue within the
communities. Anyway, even with that first set-up, there was little
dialogue in community discussion boards and in discussion boards in
general.

- Mailing list: the archive is actually accessible online, but I'm not
sure it's really necessary to be able to post to it from the web.
However, until August 2006,  the mailing-list archive had an RSS feed
through which the last messages were automatically shown bottom right
of the site in the "Featured RSS feeds"  (2). That was a useful
feature: would it be possible to have it again? For instance by using
a yahoo or a google discussion list that have RSS feeds?

- Making content taggable and discussable: great idea but in this
case, would it not be simpler and cheaper to move rather than revamp?
I'm thinking of Ning.com, where Steve Hargadon set up
<http://www.classroom20.com>. And then he convinced the Ning
administrators to make a special, ad-less, free offer for educators
and provide a network for them, http://education.ning.com/ . One
problem might be back-ups, though.

Re Taran Rampersad's addition to
<http://wiki.digitaldivide.net/index.php?title=The_future_of_DDN> :
"The Membership level is certainly worthwhile and is one that shows
promise, since DDN membership probably would be tax deductible, though
that needs to be clarified. While that is sufficient given enough
buy-in from the community, I'd also suggest continued monetization of
content through Google Ads (such as those found on email list
archives) and Amazon advertising. Further comments for funding would
probably require a prerequisite of what TIG has already tried to do
such that we can avoid repeating things"
I agree. Moreover, how could the payments be made? Some members may
not have a credit card.

Best

Claude Almansi

(1) Yesterday evening I was automatically logged in at the
http://wiki.digitaldivide.net wiki, presumably because I was logged in
at the www.digitaldivide.net main site, and even able to add some
things on the resource page of the wiki.  Today I am logged in at the
main site, but not at the wiki.
The URL of the log-in link at the top right of the wiki pages is
<http://www.digitaldivide.net/includes/error.php?pushpath=http%3A%2F%2Fwiki.digitaldivide.net%2Findex.php%3Ftitle%3DThe_future_of_DDN>
which a) is on the main site where I am already logged in; b) has a
message that says: "Error, you must login to access this page. "; c)
nevertheless also has  login ID and password boxes, but they don't
work.
If I try to edit a page, say by opening
http://wiki.digitaldivide.net/index.php?title=Main_Page&action=edit,
the page says "Login required to edit", with a link to the "Log
in /
create account"
<http://wiki.digitaldivide.net/index.php?title=Special:Userlogin>
page, which a) doesn't have a create account option; b) refuses my
main site login data

(2) The last recorded instance (Aug. 4, 2006) of the set-up with
"Featured RSS feed"  at the Internet Archive is
<http://web.archive.org/web/20060804125420/http://digitaldivide.net/>).