Thanks Adam - this is all very interesting.

I think the biggest problem I am seeing is that emails get stacked up for
approval - this really limits any real discussion that might take place here
on this list. I'd propose either opening it up or recruiting some volunteers
to help manage the approval queue on a daily if not more regular basis.

The ning idea is a good one, especially since it's a free (advertising
driven) platform. I believe educators can get advertising-free spaces.
Another platform well suited for email-empowered online communities is
golightly, used at http://groups.nten.org

If you are really concerned about costs for DDN into the future, then
rolling your own site might not be a great idea.

Cheers,

Tobias

--
Tobias Eigen