Translate.org.za is a recognized leader in software language localization in
Africa. Although not strictly speaking the first African language
wordprocessors (see comments at
http://lists.kabissa.org/lists/archives/public/a12n-forum/msg00149.html ), its
products seem to be setting the standard for a new generation of computing.

Anyone interested in discussing aspects of African languages & ICT is invited to
join the a12n-forum ("a12n" being an ICT take on "Africanization"). See
http://lists.kabissa.org/mailman/listinfo/a12n-forum (NB- There's no connection
between translate.org.za & a12n-forum)

Don Osborn
Bisharat.net

Quoting Andy Carvin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> The UNDP's NIT Observatory has several interesting news stories today,
> so rather than post them individually I'm sending them as a batch today.
>

> ---- Software First for African Languages
> Two years of computer programming will culminate tomorrow with the
> launch of the first word processing software to run in Zulu, Sepedi and
> Afrikaans. Its developers claim that this is the first word processor to
> be released in African languages, beating a project by Microsoft SA to
> convert its own software into native languages.
> http://www.sdnp.undp.org/perl/news/articles.pl?id=6835&do=gpage

. . .