Thanks, David. It would be interesting to know about what software you are
using, or if the users are simply recoding .wav or .mp3 files to attach to
e-mail.

Beyond that I wonder if there's not a need for more clarity about the field and
how its changing. There is also voice mail - since a long time - and interfaces
with messaging. Perhaps the notion of audio file e-mail is being passed by the
technology, or perhaps more accurately it's being limited to the special (but
definitely not unimportant) needs of people far from each other who are not
comfortable with the typed word (or where systems aren't configured to support
their languages) and who can't afford long distance international.

How computers and phones, audio and text, interface may be important in
different ways to people in different circumstances. And  I'm thinking (and
looking for evidence that) a little more attention to the audio dimensions may
make a huge difference for a lot of people on the other side of the divides
from the main consumers of ICT.

Don Osborn
Bisharat.net