----- Original Message ----- From: "kwame dwamena dakwa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "The Digital Divide Network discussion group" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 6:05 PM
Subject: RE: [DDN] Bridges.org produces comprehensive guide on settingup andoperating a successful computer refurbishment centre in Africa

Europeans. If "environmental mandates" prevents something from being used
in North America and Europe WHY should it be used in Africa? That is my
point. I will contact Bridges for clarification.

stay strong,
Kwame Dwamena Dakwa

Forgive me Kwame but I think you are missing the point. The computers are not being sent to developing nations because they don't meet environmental standards. They are in perfect operating condition. They simply aren't new. They are no more or less environmentally sound then the computer on which I am writing this message. They are being sent to the developinf world because that is a far better use for them then grinding them up and/or putting them in a landfill.
To ask "WHY should it be used in Africa?" is like saying, "If a wealthy man drives a Mazaratti rather than a Ford, why should I be willing to drive this Ford somebody is offering me? I insist on having a Mazaratti also!"
Thanks,
John Crooks
Virtual Scavengers