Sorry the first one was blank... I left html send on....

RSS needs a double push to get passed the 5% stat:

1. More sites need to offer feeds to help pull readers back to their site in a non spam/pushy way BUT
2. Sites also need to start offering the resources to show people how to receive the feeds. A lot of people are seeing these little orange XML
boxes on sites but when I mention to clients “news reader” or “aggregator” they start saying “clipping service?”

Media outlets and organizations need to take the DDN's lead and have a prominent page on their site talking about what those little orange XML boxes are all about.see: “What's RSS and Why Should I Care About It?” : http://www.digitaldivide.net/articles/view.php?ArticleID=68

Amnesty International also does a very attractive presentation and explanation of RSS and lists all the RSS feed categorizes that they are broadcasting.
See “What is RSS?” http://www.amnestyusa.org/rss/index.htm l

I know writing this up can be burdensome for organizations so I encourage any non-profit that would like prewritten content to use ours (see:
http://www.developmentseed.org/blog/?q=node/162 ). We just did this for an new international development online community at American University so you can see how it can be customized to fit your organization here (see
http://www.idpsa.org/?q=news_feeds).

I have not met many people who know about RSS who didn't think it was one of the cooler innovations to help them stay connected in an increasing information
overflow world. If all our sites have this and help people learn how to use, it it will spread even faster! If anyone has feedback on how to make RSS
documentation better you are more than welcome to start a blog post on www.developmentseed.org/blog/ or just head over to the mothership at wikipedia (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_%28protocol%29).

Cheers,

Eric

Eric Gundersen Development Seed Director of Program Development http://www.developmentseed.org http://www.developmentseed.org/blog <http://www.developmentseed.org/blog/> ericgundersen(skype) <CALLTO://ericgundersen> Tel. & SMS +202.297.0671 Fax. 1.806.214.6218