In a message dated 1/23/05 1:23:56 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> >From reading about the "ARC system", I can't quite figure out if it is
> already set up to do the above. Does anyone know the answer to this?

Here is another.  Dont't know if the administration believes in it..yet

> I have been involved as a student of the National Center for SuperComputing
Applications  and  some of the recent disasters have been classified so I could
not attend or was not invited but. This is a remarkable consortium

Multi-Sector Crisis Management Consortium
Technical Point of Contact: Management Point of Contact:

Name: Tom Coffin
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone: 703-248-0105/0072
NCSA Division: Cybercommunities
Name: Janet I. Thot-Thompson
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone: 703-248-0102
NCSA Division: Cybercommunities

Project URL: http://www.mscmc.org
to improve systems and processes for the crisis management community and to
develop models of information technology in crisis management to demonstrate
what
it means to manage a crisis using advanced integrated communications and
information technologies yet to be developed. The MSCMC is a virtual,
distributed
collaboration among government agencies, academic research partners, and
private sector partners. The chair of the Consortium is a rotating position
currently held by Syed Qadir of the National Response Center (see
http://www.nrc.uscg.mil/index.htm). Janet Thot-Thompson, NCSA, is the acting
executive director.
The Consortium convenes meetings, workshops, and seminars using the ACCESS
center in D.C. as its international headquarters.

This uses IGrid and Supercomputing to read groups and to work through
disasters on an international level. How much funding they have, I don't know
but it
is an intriguing model in that there is almost instant communication which can
get down to the lowest level from the top of the infrastructure
communications to blog in a few seconds, if we wanted it to.

Grid.org  http://www.grid.org/

Sincerely
Bonnie Bracey
bbracey at aol com