Jargon has always been a difficult problem as people in different areas of
the same field often cannot communicate easily with one another as the
terminology provides a barrier.  Writing definitions is a specialized
skill and may be beyond the experience of many.  Perhaps the glossary
building and definition writing planned for the Digital Divide Network
might be supplemented or replaced with finding definitions for the terms
selected for the DDN glossary web page in already existing online
dictionaries and linking to those definitions.  Tools that could be used
for such definitions or encyclopedic coverage of these terms could include
but not be limited to the Webopedia, the Wikipedia, the Oldis Dictionary
of Library Science terms and so forth.  Online computer field dictionaries
would also be fair game for this project.  I think there would be benefits
in using what already exists in terms of time to create this resource and
the quality of the resource when completed.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584