Hi everyone,

For those of you who take digital photos in the course of your digital divide-related work, we've come up with a way to share those photos with your DDN colleagues. We've set up a free account on Flickr.com, the online photo album service, that can be used communally by DDN members.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/digitaldivide/

For those of you not familiar with Flickr, it's a free service that allows anyone to post digital photo albums. You can also tag your photos with keywords, allowing you and your colleagues to browse photos based on the keyword tag. Lots of people using Flickr purely for personal purposes, but it's also a tremendous way to share photos of events at your school, library or telecentre, or other activities related to your work.

So what we've done is set up an account that can be shared by all of us as a group. That way, we can build a collection of photos related to our various digital divide projects.

How to Post Photos to Flickr

There are two ways you can contribute photos to the DDN photo album. The easiest way is to email them directly to flickr. Simply create an email addressed to this address:

period25street - at - photos.flickr.com

(you'll need to replace the "- at -" with an @ symbol, like all email addresses.)

When you compose your email, use the email subject line as the title of the photo, and the body of the email as your description. Keep the title short, and try _not_ to include your email signature file, or that will get added to the description. Then attach your photo to the email and send it.

The second way to post photos, recommended for experienced Flickr users, is log onto flickr with the DDN account:

login: digital divide (but without the space between the words)
password: divide 2005 (also without the space between the words)

This will allow you to add tags to your photos, manipulate your photos and other handy tools.

Restrictions

Because we're using the free Flickr service, we are limited to uploading 10 megabytes of photos per month. Large, photo-quality pictures are therefore not allowed; otherwise you will take up our allotment and prevent others from posting. Please keep the size of your photos to under 100k if possible. Also, we can only display 100 photos at a time, so please be selective in your photos - post a few of them, not dozens. Lastly, please do not circulate the login or email address to non list members; let's try to keep this photo collection for DDN members and spam free.

Viewing the Photo Album

The DDN photo album can be found here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/digitaldivide/

As you can see I've posted a photo from the 2003 WSIS summit. Hopefully other photos from fellow DDN members will appear soon.

There's also an RSS feed of the photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/services/feeds/[EMAIL PROTECTED]&format=rss_200

We've added the RSS feed to the ddn homepage as well. So if you go to www.digitaldivide.net, you'll see links to recent photos in the bottom right of the homepage, in the collection of "featured rss feeds."

Lastly, if you have your own website, you can display a collection of thumbnails from the DDN photo album by inserting this code on your website:

<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
flickr_badge_background_color = "";
flickr_badge_border = "";
flickr_badge_width = "120px";
flickr_badge_text_font = "11px Arial, Helvetica, Sans serif";
flickr_badge_image_border = "1px solid #000000";
flickr_badge_link_color = "";
//-->
</script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.flickr.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]&count=5&display=latest&name=1&size=thumb"></script>

Looking forward to seeing your photos,
ac

-- ----------------------------------- Andy Carvin Program Director EDC Center for Media & Community acarvin @ edc . org http://www.digitaldivide.net http://www.tsunami-info.org Blog: http://www.andycarvin.com ----------------------------------- _______________________________________________ DIGITALDIVIDE mailing list DIGITALDIVIDE@mailman.edc.org http://mailman.edc.org/mailman/listinfo/digitaldivide To unsubscribe, send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the body of the message.