I know I already posted a message about the new community, but I have some more
thoughts about it and the entry I wrote.

My original entry was about whether or not I should start the community, what
the goals were for it, and if there was a better name. I thought having that
particular entry was something I would not want in the news, so I deleted it.
After a week of deciding if I should start the community, I decided to finally
start it. Instead of just posting a message on the mailing list or on the
discussion forums, I wrote about it again in my blog on the DDN. That was
picked up too on google news. At that time, I decided to delete that entry too.
In the past couple of days, I have noticed that DDN blogs, articles, and
headlines can be picked up by google news. I looked up the information about
how google gets its news, and it's all through computers. The DDN website is
probably listed as a news source and anything I mentioned above can get picked
up. I am not going to stop writing in my blog, but it might just be shorter
messages with an update on my blog off of DDN. (I want to concentra!
 te on
 writing on that blog) Also, I will probably participate more on the mailing
list and the disccusion forums.

Taran (and anyone else interested) -

I am glad to hear someone is interested in this. I thought this community would
be a good way to open discussion. I did not realize that sharing this
information is a bridge across the digital divide. I started this community
because I first learned about the digital divide in my social informatics class
2 years ago, and then last spring it was a topic in my e-government class. I
want to share what I learned in my classes with the DDN community. I have been
looking at the member list and I have noticed that students are joining the
network. I thought this would be a great way for them to participate on the
network. I know there are many teachers on the network, and I was not sure if
any of them teach or have taught about the digital divide. I thought this would
be a great way for them to share with the network how they teach students about
the digital divide. Instead of having one community for students/college grads
and one community for teacher, I thought the two could be !
 combined.
 I also thought there would be others interested in how the digital divide is
being taught, so I wanted the community to be open to everyone.

I realize now that I probably should have kept the last entry I wrote about the
community since it was news. Instead of having a third entry to be picked up, I
went ahead and added a link to the community to my links. If anyone who is not
a member of the DDN clicks on the links, they can see the link to the new
community, and maybe they will join the network. I will also add an entry about
the new community in my blog off of DDN.

Emily Weinberg
United States
http://eweinb04.blogspot.com