To Steve Eskow

Good summary of my view!

Perhaps one point where I do not follow is that our tutoring is not
Intelligent, in the sense of artificial intelligence. All the decisions are
made by the designers, not by AI strategies within the programs. Eventually
the approaches of artificial intelligence will probably be useful for large
numbers of students, but not now.

It is critical, I believe, that the student interaction must be frequent.
Based on our studies the times between meaningful student actions should not
generally exceed twenty seconds. Typically this is a free-form answer to a
question from the computer, so the form is Socratic.

The reason for the tutorial approach is to allow the learning units to adapt
to each student. I see this lack of treating each learner as a unique
individual, with different learning problems and interests, is the major
reason why current approaches so often fail for many students, in both the
developed and developing parts of the world. So this approach is the basis
for solving the global problem of education for all, the billions you
mention. We have developed at Irvine, a full system for producing such
adaptive tutorial modules.

I want to begin with a major experiment for young children. I suggest three
areas, reading and writing for the first three years, mathematics for the
first three years, and science for one year. Some of this work would be done
in multiple languages.

If the experiment is successful, I think we can attain 'education for all'
in twenty years. This, and related matters, are described in the book I am
writing at present, as I have mentioned before on this list.

Alfred