[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

<>(snip)I am very interested in learning more ..how we can make the world a less unequal and destructive place to live.... empower (people) <>to live the lives that they want and that they know makes them happy and is sustainable......how modern technologies could be of use as a creative tools to the marginalized and "underdeveloped" ....in moving everyone closer to the ideas of accomplishing the rediculously HUGE and inhumanly scaled
problem we--all the people in the world--are faced with currently;
Poverty. Thanks for listening. I would love to hear what you have to say

Hi Chris.

I think you might like what CawdNet is doing in rural Nigeria. To oversimplify the explanation - we are using ICTs to help people on both sides of the digital divide connect with each other and "rub brains" about how issues of rural poverty can be addressed.
.
CawdNet's approach is one of small small steps and then dissemination. We work through Special Interest Groups. A SIG can be tiny - it can even be as small as one person. But if the problem is likely to be shared by other people in a similar situation - a farmer, a health worker, a woman with a problem about cooking, a teacher, a young person who cannot find work. - then we think in terms of "the start of a SIG"... If we can solve the problem for one person - then we solve it for other potential SIG members... .

In the past three months Cawdnet has:
# Run an innovative training course for teachers, http://teacherstalking.xwiki.com/xwiki/bin/view/Main/TeachersTalkingCourse

# Taken a farmer's problem to the GKD discussion list [GKD] A Nigerian Farmer Using ICTs to Seek Information Archives of previous GKD messages can be found at: http://www.edc.org/GLG/gkd/

# Organised a workshop on solar cooking (I have some photos - but not on the Internet and I don't expect it is acceptable to send them as attachments with this email)

CawdNet welcomes new people who are interested in working with us (especially from home using the Internet on our behalf) or supporting our work in any way. Do contact me on or off list.

Pam

Pamela McLean
CawdNet convenor.

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.8 - Release Date: 14/02/2005