In a message dated 3/16/05 8:29:32 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Final note: All this means today's American college and high school
> graduate had best get off their lazy butts and realize what the REAL
> competition is going to do to their job situation.
> --
> I don't know. I spent three years on all kinds of projects that were to
prepare students, they sort of got defunded. The children don't create the
curriculum or create the ideational scaffolding toward curriculum. They are the
ones
who grew up in the culture of media.

Seems to me that the reality is that so many people are looking at reality
shows and entertainment
that academics have gone away. Nationally we seem to be making fun of
anything intellectual, challenging or of science. Sputnik got a rise out of
congress
years ago. maybe the Singapore triumph in technology will open the eyes of the
sleeping.

You don't get to Mars by reading a book. Thinking is an evolved practice.
Maybe we have some other kind of divide that is anti-intellectual.

Bonnie Bracey
bbracey at aol.com