Brian: I am the imagineeer and chief conductor to Global Learn Day, now in it's ninth year. 19 of the 24 hours of this event come from real time articipants outside of the United States. We use VOIP very successfully, provided by talking communities.com. We also use the telephone bridged through a nice conference system provided by www.mrconference.com. We bridge the Net to the phone and the phone to the net using some easy and very cheap devices.

Now this does not answer the questions about international phone calls, so let me address that.

In those few cases where our speakers cannot use talking communities, and want to speak over the phone, we rarely have complaints about the international cost of their call to our telephone conference center. But in those rare cases, we and the speakers work hard to find very cheap phone cards. Rarely does it cost more than 20 U.S. cents per minute from almost anywhere in the world. Given that very few talk on the phone for more than an hour, this means a cost to the speaker of about US$12.00 - less than the cost of the taxi from most downtowns to the airport.

We have not had too much luck with Skype. In fact we have some problems bridging it. I don't think we will have much trouble using www.talkingcommunities.com - which now allows Mac OSX platforms.

I can probably get www.talkingcommunites.com free.

John Hibbs
http://www.bfranklin.edu/