This answer won't post on K-12, so I am answering you on another forum that I
know you use.

Why Cell Phones?

I think, since I am editing a book on global use of technologies, that there
are many countries looking for what a way is to get involved in technology,
that will give them the most bang for their buck.

Admittedly, I often just do the new technology because I can't escape it. My
friend Ray Rose, of Concord.org and Andy, entice me to wander into the new
uses of technology, by demonstration, by involving me in the study of it, or by
making the idea of it so interesting I could not resist. There is something
about mentored help that makes you leap the hurdles of faith.

Think a minute.. you are not driving the same car that you learned to drive
with.. and you certainly are not going to wait until they " get it right!".

I had a Palm for a   long time, that I did not use. I bought it, but then I
had to buy something else and then I had to be on line. I put it in the closet.

 The stepping up to new use takes a lot of patience when there is no tech
support for some of us. But Ray Rose and another friend copied all of the notes
that were in a meeting ,and offered to beam them to me. Well, my Palm was at
home. At a meeting in Poptech, similar technologies were used to create a
network that beamed us all in so we had email access, and information for all
on
smart tags. Also at NCSA, the Supercomputing conference we had smart tags for
all
kind of reasons. Same technologies, different use. The information you get is
what
attracted me. In countries with few landlines.. the leapfrog was phenomenal.
Gender use did not seem to matter.

Making Mistakes

Sometimes I make the wrong purchase. I have a minitelevision that I thought
would be helpful for long flights , ... the points inbetween. But I found that
most of the airports have a kind of TV, and that it was a nuisance more than
an interesting tool. The point is it is not , an intelligent tool. With my
phone now, I can text message, but I don't very often, I can take pictures on
the
spot and transmit them. i can access the news, and .. so much more. More
importantly, if it is an airline that I am on and I am held up I can consult
with
them, and reach the people meeting me, and vice versa.

Being Involved in Knowledgenetworks Helps

I was involved in the www.cilt.org project based look at the new technologies
and we studied the cell phone, variations of it from many angles. I also have
been working in Europe where the cell phone has leapfrogged over land lines.
I dragged my computer to Mykonos, but had to go to an Internet cafe to use the
computer. No telephone land lines My goose was cooked.   Meanwhile my friends
were happily textmessaging friends in Italy and so on. Every day I had to go
out in the hot sun, ( But the island is beautiful) to go to the Internet cafe.

So sometimes the shift has a reason. I used to be able to use AOL from around
the world but there are new sophisticated ways that access through phone
lines can be denied in various countries.

Really interesting was the use of more sophisticated versions of handhelds. I
invite you to peruse SRI's resources at
http://ubiqcomputing.org/ubiq_initiatives_hand.html.

Being with the Big Dogs

I attended an NSCA all hands meeting. It was about this kind of technology. I
had a headache at first there was so much to learn. Everyone else seemed to
know it all but gradually as the lectures went on , i learned more and more.

I found applications that made me happy and I began to write, explore, and
use new technologies.
I did not have money to investigate the MIT crickets, but I saw
demonstrations. I did not have the money to invest in individual clickers,.. an
off stream
use of the possibilities, but I really liked the idea that each child in the
class could have a device that would let them participate, both for my
understanding of their knowledge and my ability to understand ,if they got what
I was
teaching.
So I became a convert. Never got invited to the vendor meetings like most
teachers. Didn't matter.
I had been involved in the research, saw the possibilities of use, knew the
limits of my funding .
I only wished for a carton of 30 to take to schools to help teachers cross
over the nuisance line with them. But the researchers often have such a
wonderful technology environment that they did not judge this to be a good use
of
funds in the project.   I guess I call it the test drive the device.. and I
would
have had a powerpoint to explain it.

Research Tidbits

I made my project idea up anyway, cited the research, created the powerpoint
and went to the Georgia Technology Conference. What a dissapointment . I can
read crowds.. most of the people in my sessions, who were evaluating me, were
sitting with their arms crossed. I could hear one of the people in the audience
saying, " That gal must be teched in the head if she thinks that people are
going to use devices like that." I did not get a resounding accolade from the
audience. It hurt my feelings.. but that's life.

But a researcher, at the end of my unappreciated talk, asked for my research
to put in her database.
That cheered me up a little . My evaluations were dismal.

Consumer Acceptance

Later that year, the ad about pictures on phones came out and there was a mad
rush by consumers to use the picture phones. Textmessaging has always been an
interest of the very young. I imagine that I can't do it well because I have
to use my glasses to see the position of the letters. I am told that after a
while, like on the keyboard, the placement is mental and you don't have to
look. But I am not there.

Meanwhile there are new things to think about.

http://www.terry-freedman.org.uk/artman/publish/article_369.shtml

It's an interview with the inventor of Cellphedia, which is a kind of cell
phone version of WikepediaEnd Notes

Perhaps the problem is in accepting new learning for all of us.

Readings to probe.( Contributed to me by Ray Rose)

Look at:

http://www.concord.org/publications/newsletter/2005-spring/ubiquitous.html

http://www.concord.org/publications/newsletter/2005-spring/anycomputer.html
    http://www.concord.org/publications/newsletter/2004-fall/monday.html
    http://www.concord.org/publications/newsletter/2002-fall/probeware.html

and for fun....
http://www.concord.org/publications/newsletter/2005-spring/future.html

Be aware of the fact that the US does not have the lead in technology in
everything, particularly in the cell phone era.
Have you read "Smart Mobs".
And, there is more.. I copied this to some of the researchers whom I worked
with. Maybe they will contribute information.

Bonnie Bracey

Outreach GLEF.org
http://www.digitaldivide.net/profile/bbracey
My communities
http://www.digitaldivide.net/community/summitforchildren
http://www.digitaldivide.net/community/gendergap
CyberEd Resources : ICT's and Education (owner)
Games and Education (owner)
Science without Frontiers STEM Initiatives K-12 (owner)
http://www.digitaldivide.net/blog/bbracey

Portal Work
http://edreform.net/
Technology Applications for learning in the portal
applications.edreform.net
Technology Applications for Learning
The Technology Applications for Learning Network is a catalog of technology
applications for learning.

http://www.digitaldivide.net/community/STEM