There is a list hosted by Dgroups that may be of interest - PPGIS (for public
participatory GIS). There are a number of people and projects doing interesting
work in this area and the list is active. See: http://www.ppgis.net (though I
had trouble  accessing just now; probably unrelated, but the list
administrators are apparently all going to the Mapping for Change conference in
Nairobi).

Companion low-tech mapping approaches (such as 3-D mapping) have also been
developed. See: http://www.iapad.org which has a lot of resources.

The potential for use of overhead images and maps with rural communities, even
the poorest and least formally educated, is great.

Don Osborn
Bisharat.net