For those on the list who may, like me, be struggling to gain some understanding of what Katrina means to the US and (because of our real as well as self-proclaimed position in it) the world, may I commend today's issue of the New York Times? Specifically, there is a suite of articles in the Week in Review section that shed remarkable light. Written by Jason DeParle, John M. Barry, Richard Bernstein, Frank Rich, and Anne Rice, these pieces give us historical, cultural, political, geographic, and sociological viewpoints that can be extremely helpful. The enormity of this situation also demonstrates, for me, the present impossibility of the terms "impartial" and "objective." It seems to me, what we can hope for these days is that coverage try to be "fair." Impartiality and objectivity are for another era.

James Lerman
NYC

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.