At 3:26 PM -0500 9/15/05, Taran Rampersad wrote:
John Hibbs wrote:
Why is an ICT conference not held virtually? Why do I have to travel
 to Washington to participate? or listen? or view? What century do we
 live in?

15 Sep 2005 15:26:11 -0500 Taran Rampersad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
So that's where I left my drum! :-) Maybe it's just not easy enough for people to organize a conference virtually yet... or maybe they don't know how easy it is?

Subscribers to the leading listserv in the distance education world have heard me beat this drum for almost a decade. The largest, most prestigious (?) distance ed conferences have very little virtual component; yet the leaders talk the talk about the wonders of their deliveries. My wee voice has been a lonely one.

Perhaps the DDN should take up one more cudgel -- that it should beat up on those who hold large physical conferences advocating ICT; but are unwilling to offer same virtually? If we at the "leading edge" don't walk the walk -- who will?
--
John W. Hibbs
http://www.bfranklin.edu/johnhibbs