Business Week is running a story on what tech companies are doing on the Digital Divide: Help for Info Age Have-Nots - http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2005/tc2005104_6877_tc024.htm

It includes a mention of the MIT $100 computer, among other things. It also stresses the need to go beyond the one-size-fits-all solution. One of the projects I found most interesting was the "Bookmobile" part of Yahoo's Internet Archive project: The project will do more than just give everyday Internet users full access to some of the world's classic works, says Internet Archive founder Brewster Kahle. In addition to being available online, the digital books will be included on all of the archive's "Bookmobiles" -- Internet-enabled trucks that print and bind books on demand for the poor and underprivileged. Kahle says those trucks, which have been deployed as far away as Egypt and Uganda, are just the beginning. Using this print-on-demand technology, "we want every school, and every neighborhood library to be a million-book library," says Kahle. As I have tried to stress, its not about the technology - its about access to information and communications. After all, we don't call it the Internet economy, we call it the information economy.

Ken

Kenan Patrick Jarboe, Ph.D.
Athena Alliance
911 East Capitol Street, SE