From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2005 8:43 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [DDN] Intellectual Property Rights

Does anyone else think it is unethical (as well as illegal) to digitize
works that are protected by copyright? Don't the writers and producers
of intellectual and artistic property own their works and have the right
to control how they are distributed?

(Don't Google and Yahoo and the university libraries know this? Of
course they do!)

Do we have on this list any authors in the group who depend for their
livings (or a part thereof) on the royalties they receive from books,
music, film, etc.? And will they continue to publish such works if they
can't receive a fair recompense for them?

What will be the long-term impact on intellectual and artistic
production if everything is in the public domain as soon as it is
published?

Sarah Blackmun
Former Senior Vice President
Harcourt Brace Publishing Group

> From: Taran Rampersad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2005/10/12 Wed PM 05:51:26 EDT
> To: The Digital Divide Network discussion group
>       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [DDN] Creating the $100 Laptop
>
> Actually, by doing some research on the darker side of the internet,
> I've found some people who scan/photograph books, use optical
character
> recognition, and create eBooks. Apparently, there's a big underground
> following. Some of the server statistics show over 100,000 downloads
of
> some books.
>
> But those folks are always shifting, and would be hard to find...
>
> David P. Dillard wrote:
>
> >Scanning of books with a camera has been going on in libraries since
the
> >advent of digital cameras and to a limited degree with regular
cameras
> >before the advent of the digital camera.  The drawback before the
digital
> >camera was the cost and difficulty of processing film.  Now with
digital
> >cameras it is probably a widespread practice.
> >

> >Sincerely,
> >David Dillard
> >Temple University
> >(215) 204 - 4584
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ><http://groups.yahoo.com/group/net-gold>
> ><http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/ringleaders/davidd.html>
> ><http://www.kovacs.com/medref-l/medref-l.html>
> ><http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/net-gold.html>
> ><http://www.LIFEofFlorida.org>
> >Digital Divide Network
> ><http://www.digitaldivide.net/profile/jwne>
> >
> >====================================================
> >
> >On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Taran Rampersad wrote:
> >

> >>You know, it's a matter of time before digital cells with cameras
(or
> >>just plain cameras) are used to copy books out of libraries. Would
that
> >>be a bad thing? :-)

> >>--
> >>Taran Rampersad
> >>Presently in: San Fernando, Trinidad
> >>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >>
> >>http://www.knowprose.com
> >>http://www.easylum.net
> >>http://www.digitaldivide.net/profile/Taran
> >>
> >>Coming on January 1st, 2006: http://www.OpenDepth.com
> >>
> >>"Criticize by creating." ? Michelangelo
> >>

> >>DIGITALDIVIDE mailing list
> >>DIGITALDIVIDE@mailman.edc.org

> --
> Taran Rampersad
> Presently in: San Fernando, Trinidad
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> http://www.knowprose.com
> http://www.easylum.net
> http://www.digitaldivide.net/profile/Taran
>
> Coming on January 1st, 2006: http://www.OpenDepth.com
>
> "Criticize by creating." ? Michelangelo

                       Move To:  (Choose Folder) Inbox Trash Drafts

        Back to: SentMail

 Help