Greetings,

In the sense that we are a network, or persons and organizations operating
within the same field and towards similar or related positive social ends
and not principally competitors in a field as market, (though competition
for resources exists, and we are susceptible to a competitive mindset even
when not applicable)  I have looked at such papers and concepts as "Movement
as Network"  (which I have previously recommended.. available at
http://www.movementasnetwork.org) as a conversational starting point… for an
ongoing dialogue as to what it means to be a network of the type described
above, and how we might better function collectively as a network.

The movement as network paper looks at the Environmental Movement, and makes
the case that as a network  (in the sense of their being relations and
connections of individuals and organizations in that movement) and as a
movement it is  a real thing… and by approaching it from the network
perspective we are identifying those relations and formulating a map for
ourselves, and a language with which to begin discussions of what we can do,
and how we might restructure the network of relations…..

One of our esteemed colleagues characterized the paper as "good management
theory", and "perhaps not much about networks" in the sense in which we look
at networks or community networking… however, that raises two immediate
questions for me… the more difficult perhaps is what "network and
networking" mean for us, especially in context of community networking.  I
wont go into that in depth, and don’t think we need restrict ourselves to
one definition.  In fact I take the terms to be so fundamental to major
transitions in our society, that "networking" might well be one of the
conceptual primitives of our era… not being susceptible to a single
definitive formulation, but lending itself to a variety of valid uses and
frames.

Likewise for the concept of community… community means several things, and
we can emphasize any number of them in different contexts, and our motive
for employing the term and our community of practice generally inform the
meaning for us… and we are challenged when encountering other communities of
practice to respect the value and validity of the term in that context, and
the subtle nuances and fertility when the communities of discourse collide
or converge.

But, to my second question… if the movement as network paper (or approach)
is simply "good management theory" what is the role of good management
theory in the context of a network field devoted to a public good?  I have
made the case that one doesn’t really lead a network or a movement, one
facilitates them, or helps to create conditions for the network to flourish.
But this is not the role of "one", it is the role of many in concert without
an "authority" over them.

I've introduced the concept of "movement" again.  Garth Graham challenged
the notion of our being a movement, or whether we are one any longer… the
"we" being proponents of community networking, and looking at the end of
community networking as movement, under  a shift to a "radical practice".
What defines "movement"?  There is of course an analytic approach… somewhat
"objectively" we can assert whether some efforts or activity have met the
criteria, but from another frame, a movement can also be a matter of
self-designation.  It can be a claim or an assertion of an identity.
Whether others buy into this claim is one aspect… but I'm more inclined to
accept the folksonomy rather than the taxonomy.  I'll leave Movement aside
for the moment, to anyone who would like to engage in unfolding that idea,
and return to the Network and Management questions…

In looking at the environmental "movement as network" where there are real
connections, relations and structure to be examined and thereby the
possibility of investment in the network with an eye to re-organizing for
better "effectiveness" of the network, what we are proposing is (strategic)
structural differentiation within the network…

It is easy to see how this can be viewed as an analogue of good management
theory.  The question is how do we generate the will to collectively manage
this process in this direction?

I think this is related to past discussions of how we might consider
sustaining efforts for the field as opposed to sustaining individual
organizations, and to the questions of "educating the funding community" or
promoting our general value to the wider society, and inviting their
participation in our effort.

Again, I invite comments, thoughts, etc., on this both via email and in the
DDN group I created earlier on Movement as Network…
http://www.digitaldivide.net/community/movement

Michael Maranda
President, The Association For Community Networking (AFCN)
http://www.afcn.org
Executive Director, CTCNet Chicago Chapter
http://www.ctcnetchicago.org
Co-Chair, Illinois Community Technology Coalition (ilCTC)
http://www.ilctc.org
Vice President, CAAELII
http://www.caaelii.org
Vice President, NPOTechs
http://www.npotechs.org

Attend the Illinois Community Technology Conference, November 16-17, 2005.
http://www.ctcnetchicago.org/conference