I agree with Errol Hewitt that we need to promote INNOVATION (and
research) in developing countries. That is why I and a small (but growing)
group of friends around the world are promoting open access to scientific
literature. Believe me the ability to innovate is not an exclusive
privilege of a few. My friend Anil Gupta of Honeybee Network has been
documenting indigenous innovations in India and elsewhere for over a
decade. Many small and medium sized companies in India have come up with
outstanding (and cost-saving) innovations.

Arun