-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of David Rosen
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2005 6:54 AM
To: The Digital Divide Network discussion group
Subject: [DDN] NAAL points to serious,ongoing adult basic skills problem in
U.S.

Colleagues,

The main point of the NAAL study (and the NALS study a decade
earlier) , obscured in much of the discussion here so far, is that
13% of American adults (30 million people) are at a Below Basic
literacy level, and another 29% (an additional 63 million people) are
at a Basic level.  In a changing economy, with global
competitiveness, family self-sufficiency for millions of Americans is
at risk.  With current public resources, the U.S. Department of
Education says we can reach under 10% (perhaps as low as 3%) of those
in need. We have a serious adult literacy and basic skills divide.

What can technology offer to help solve this problem?

David J. Rosen