-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mark Warnick
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2006 9:35 AM
To: The Digital Divide Network discussion group
Subject: [DDN] Planning Help Needed

Hello Everyone,
    I am normally a lurker here on the list, mainly because of my lack of
knowledge. My father always told me it is better to be thought an idiot and
remain silent than to open your mouth and remove all doubt, so I try to live
by that rule (LOL).
    We are beginning to work on a project with the government that involves
making a "Mobile Command Center" for first responders using excess equipment
from first responders and the government. This is all in the experimental
and planning stage, and there is a lot to figure out. One thing that has
come up, and the reason I am writing this letter, is that Microsoft will
supposedly be releasing Vista soon. From what I am told this will make older
operating systems "obsolete", and possibly incompatible.
    Considering the "Mobile Command Vehicle" will be for long term use, and
we are using computers 1-2 years old (recycled) we are curious  if;

1) It is true older computers will soon become totally obsolete
2) Will there be interoperability issues
3) What is the best avenue to take to ensure that the network in the command
center will not be a headache for the staff.

    The way we envision it, the Mobile Command Center will have it's own
network, as well as having the ability for someone to plug in their laptop
in the center and share files with the command staff.

    Any and all help with this planning part of this phase is appreciated,
... Mark

Retired Asst. Chief
Mark S. Warnick (Founder)
Chief of Operations