Executive Director wrote:
" That said, I do wish Microsoft luck in releasing anything soon, and I
certainly hope that whatever they release doesn't permit the continued
plague of flaws and vulnerabilities that the general population of the world
has become familiar with. "
I want you to reread what you quoted. And below, I shall refer to it.
This opinion of course ignores the fact that that there are more
vulnerabilities in Linux/Unix than in Windows.

"The US Government has reported that fewer vulnerabilities were found in
Windows than in Linux/Unix operating systems in 2005."
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39245873,00.htm
Read the top line:
"US-CERT found more vulnerabilities in Linux and Unix systems than in Windows in 2005, but that doesn't mean Windows is more secure"
Opinions need to be supported to have any value. When you set personal bias
aside, facts are a simple google away.
And yet selective reading remains a problem. Perhaps you could google which flaws took longer than 3 days to fix for either operating system?

The beauty of Linux, in this case, is that it is easier to identify vulnerabilities and flaws before they are exploited. Not so with Windows. You'll also note that when I expressed my opinion that I made a comparison. However, if you really want me to roll my sleeves up, I can tack on the Microsoft Internet Explorer bugs/vulnerabilities, as well as Microsoft Outlook Express - since they too are rolled into the operating system. Statistics are subjective. We can both play with those numbers. CERT treats these as separate issues, but Microsoft doesn't (despite legal cases around the world).

Certainly, the facts are just a google away. Perhaps you could google how many Linux users were and continue to be adversely affected by flaws as compared to Windows users? I'd love to see what information you turn up.

Now, we can have an operating system war along these lines if this is what you wish. That was not my intent. I, as a registered user of a Microsoft Product (check the header on this message) am stating that Microsoft should be working toward fixing it's problems. I did not say that Linux was better or worse in that regard. You'll be hard pressed to see me making statements without a basis in fact, so perhaps you read what you wish to. What I did say is what you quoted above - which wasn't related to any other operating system. That said, please help Microsoft patch Windows.

Oh. Sorry. You can't. Unless you work for Microsoft... do you? If you do work for Microsoft, I have a slew of questions for you which you should be able to handle well. This 'we look good by making others look bad' silliness has to stop somewhere. The criticisms I leveled at Microsoft were independent of Linux.

All of that said, here's my comparison now that you have opened the door: If CERT can find more vulnerabilities in Linux, I count that as a success for Linux. That means things that Linux can fix things proactively; which the Linux community has been doing, as opposed to Microsoft's rendition of 'Oops, I did it again' after the flaw is already exploited. So another thing you can research is how many exploits for Windows were already being exploited before there were CERT advisories.

As a licensed user of Microsoft, I reserve the right to criticize Microsoft. And as a registered user of Linux, I will do the same of Linux - as I do of any open source/free software product. If you choose to defend your choice based on what you find on Google, take a look here:
http://www.google.tt/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=%22operating+system%22&btnG=Search

Good day, and happy Googling! :-)

--
Taran Rampersad
Presently in: San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago

Looking for contracts/work!
http://www.knowprose.com/node/9786

New!: http://www.OpenDepth.com
http://www.knowprose.com