[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Alan Gerstle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> I believe that the refusal of Americans to
take second-language learning seriously is at least a part of the problem.  While
technophiles on all education levels are enthusiastic about learning new coding
languages and new software, at least those in the United States find it anathema to
study a second language long enough to become proficient in it.  This creates not
only a divide, but a certain presumption that others should learn English.
Copying the CARDICIS list since it's related to culture and ICT, and I'm also involved there...

I won't single out Americans and the American education system.

In "How To Become a Hacker", one of the things that Eric Raymond wrote was 'learn functional English' (http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html#skills4 ) which reeks a bit of Anglophone hubris, poorly propped up by the tendency of Linus Torvalds to comment in English. I view it mainly as an issue related to the web as it originated in an Anglophone country; the United States. FUNREDES (http://www.funredes.org ) has done studies demonstrating an increase of content languages other than English.

What English does do, and has done, is allowed a common language for commenting. Had the internet originated in the Amazon Basin, we'd probably all be on the other side of the digital divide because of the linguistic divide.

All of that said, the coming years will sneak linguistic changes on the web into younger generations. We're already seeing it, but segregations between language labels often act as blinders for the mavens of each language. The internet may well begin to look like Isaac Newton's notes... which he wrote in a variety of languages mixed together. I daresay something like that will never be able to be taught in a school; peers are the only answer. :-)

--
Taran Rampersad
Presently in: San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago

Always looking for contracts!
http://www.knowprose.com/node/9786

New!: http://www.OpenDepth.com
http://www.knowprose.com