I've been thinking about technology in education a lot lately and recently (at
Computex) I had the opportunity to discuss some of the issues with Geekcorps
Wayan Vota. Naturally we got talking about the OLPC program, discussing the
pros and cons as usual. He made a comment that summed up my thoughts on the
OLPC program perfectly, by calling it the 'Gods Must be Crazy' solution. I
thought the description so fitting that I 'borrowed' it as a title for an
article I've just written on the OLPC program, which I suspect many of you will
agree with. The article can be found at VIApc-1.com

'At the end of the day, I just can't ignore the fact that as inexpensive as an
individual '$100 laptop' might sound, $100 million+ dollars is a hell of a lot
of money for most of the countries it is intended for. And without the
groundwork being suitably laid before deployment, it's a bit like developing
this great little widget and then dropping them out of the sky.'

Best regards,
Josh Holmes
Editor
www.viapc-1.com