Andy Carvin wrote:
> Hmm... Surprised at how limited it is, both in terms
> of usefulness and in its definition of literacy....
> -andy
>
> --- Phil Shapiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>(...) http://www.google.com/literacy/

As far as I can tell, the only new piece of information on this literacy
website is the map of literacy organizations, along with addresses. This is
somewhat useful, for example to find literacy orgs in your city, though this
data itself is not searchable (oddly enough for Google!)

The rest of the website appears to be just pass-throughs to Google's extant
search services.
Book Search => books.google.com
Scholar search => scholar.google.com
Video search => video.google.com
Blog search => search.blogspot.com
Groups search => groups.google.com

I'm not sure where all the hoopla came from, given that anyone who knows HTML
could have written these pages in a few hours...:)

As far as I can tell, there is no additional filtering of search results
Thus, for people who are already familiar with google books and scholar search,
this literacy website seems little more than a packaged way to get at them,
along with some proposed search terms.

This is not to say that google is not doing good things in this area. Books and
Scholar search for example are incredibly useful. However, this new "literacy"
website does not seem to add much value on top of these existing services,
besides collecting them all on one page (though this page is a superset:
http://www.google.com/intl/en/options/)

I certainly hope v2.0 has a bit more meat to it!
--
Karl Brown