Walter Bright wrote:
grauzone wrote:
But... why Javascript hurts you that much? What did it do to you?

Yesterday, I was on digitalmars.com, browsing the archive for the D newsgroup. Actually, I just had it open in a tab, and was actively browsing another website. I wondered why the browser had such a bad response. Finally, I figured out, that the cause was some JavaScript code included from Amazon. It showed some applet on the bottom of the archive page, and it didn't even work. All it did was displaying some loading gif animation and eating CPU. When I blocked Amazon, all was fast and responsive again.

I had some email discussions with Amazon about the miserable speed of the Amazon cloud widget. The idea of the cloud widget is great, it's supposed to look at the contents of the page and produce links to Amazon products, like books, that are related. So I really wanted this to work. But Amazon tech support insisted that it was not slow, it was merely pining for the fjords (ok, I added that last bit <g>). I was seeing load times that averaged around 30 seconds.

Not sure what you're saying, but it was eating up my CPU even some minutes after the page was loaded.

In the face of that, I removed the widget a few weeks ago, after telling tech support I'd add it back in once they fixed the speed problems.

If you found a page where it is still active, can you please give me the url?

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/learn/Mixin_versus_c_preprocessor_11830.html

I suspect this is the offending piece of HTML:

<SCRIPT charset="utf-8" type="text/javascript" src="http://ws.amazon.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&MarketPlace=US&ID=V20070822/US/classicempire/8006/adfa749b-6f27-4cdf-a046-716a8fab7cab";> </SCRIPT>