Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 14:27:36 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu <seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org> wrote:

bearophile wrote:
Andrei Alexandrescu:
$(LI std.conv: changed the default array formatting from "[a, b, c]" to "a b c")
 That's a regression!!!
(And I think in the past it was [a,b,c] instead of [a, b, c], because it's better to save some screen space, it costs a lot!).

Sorry, this stays. The idea behind the change is to make 'to' a minimalistic function that makes minimum assumptions (e.g. the comma may be a decimal point in some languages, so is [1,2] in a German locale an array of double with one value or two? etc.

The canonical "to" prints values separated by one space. Why one space? It's the most neutral thing I could think of. Why no brackets? Because of minimalism. You can very easy add them if you want them.

What about an array of strings with spaces in them? Or an array of arrays? Is there at least a way to force 'to' to format the way you want?

Yes, you may specify the separator.

Andrei