On 05/15/2010 06:13 PM, BCS wrote:
Hello Adam,

On 5/15/10, Bernard Helyer <b.hel...@gmail.com> wrote:

Set executable bit, modify PATH

Meh, you don't have to do that. On my box, I have a wrapper script in
/usr/bin
so the dmd command works from anywhere, but you can just as well run
it right out of wherever you download it too. ./dmd works just as well
as dmd.
I've a little script that copies the executables into /usr/bin, the
manpages into manpage land, the docs into /usr/share/docs/dmd,
imports into /usr/include/d and the libraries into /usr/lib, and so
on.

Ew, why? I guess if you have a script it is ok for you, but there's
really no need to take it out of the folders where they are at the
unzip.

The same holds for every file in /usr/bin, I wonder what that says about
all the other people who put stuff there. Similar thought hold for the
other bits and places.

/usr/bin is for system installed executables. It's bad practice to put other things there. I could see installing them to /usr/local/bin , /usr/opt/bin or /home/$USER/bin, but otherwise just leaving them where they're unzipped is quite reasonable. (Each of the approaches has their own particular reason why they're a good idea. E.g. /usr/local/bin is easy to share with other users on the system. I'm not sure why /usr/opt/bin, but some have, historically, preferred it. /home/$USER/bin allows sharing libraries within a single user. And just leaving it where you unzipped it facilitates having multiple versions of the same program available.)

P.S.: Does D actually allow you to just run from the unzipped folder? Earlier versions required a global library installation. It's been awhile since I've done the tarball installation, so I don't recall. But it used to be impossible to have both D1 and D2 installed, much less D2.040 and D2.046.