On 2010-05-16 21:47, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
"Walter Bright"<newshou...@digitalmars.com>  wrote in message
Nick Sabalausky wrote:
I recently completed a revamp of the digitalmars site that got rid of
the table based layout in favor of using floating CSS layout. The result
looks a bit nicer, and the printing should be much better.

Speaking as a web developer, I've found that floating CSS is irritatingly
gimped compared to tables when trying to adjust how things flow upon
resizing. (Speaker as a web user, I've never cared one bit whether a site
used floating CSS vs tables.)

Doing them as floating CSS makes it possible to "nodisplay" the navigation
sections when formatting for print.

Ahh, good point.

The whole HTML/CSS design is such a horrific kludge it's a wonder it works
at all.

That's exactly how I feel about 99% of internet "technologies" (including
HTML/CSS, of course). And they're all horrific kludges *on top* of horrific
kludges - I almost wish I never learned how ethernet, *ahem*..."works". It's
a wonder I have any sanity left.

There's this idea called "Worse is Better", which you've no doubt heard of... sometimes when I am feeling gloomy I agree with it wholeheartedly. ;-)

--
~ Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel is temporarily out of service. ~ http://tagzilla.mozdev.org v0.066