On 2011-01-26 19:12, Daniel Gibson wrote:
On 2011-01-25 23:59, Jesse Phillips wrote:
Jacob Carlborg Wrote:

Yeah, I guess you're right, didn't think there were a lot people who
used other shells. Since I almost know nothing about shell scripting and
even less about non-bourne shells, will it be possible to port to other
shells? How much do they differ?

--
/Jacob Carlborg

To add to Lutger's message. I believe it is sh that is required by all Posix
systems, or at least an equivalent. Similarly I think vi is also a requirement.

In all likelyhood you probably used a Bash specific feature, but usually
everyone has bash even if they use zsh... Though Ubuntu/Debian has started
pointing /bin/sh to dash which is complaint with posix...

Ok. I'll see I can use only sh.

Debian (and probably ubuntu as well) has a package called "devscripts" which
contains a handy tool called "checkbashisms". This tool tells you if your script
uses bash-specific stuff and often even suggests a more portable alternative.

That sounds like something I could use.

I haven't checked DVM yet, but if you want to have stuff done one login, put it
into ~/.profile instead of ~/.bashrc - this should be executed by all POSIX
compliant shells I think.

On Mac OS X I use .bash_profile, I don't know if .profile and/or .bashrc works. The bash man page (http://linux.die.net/man/1/bash) says:

"When bash is invoked as an interactive login shell, or as a non-interactive shell with the --login option, it first reads and executes commands from the file /etc/profile, if that file exists. After reading that file, it looks for ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, and ~/.profile, in that order, and reads and executes commands from the first one that exists and is readable."

And:

"When an interactive shell that is not a login shell is started, bash reads and executes commands from ~/.bashrc, if that file exists."

I'm not sure I know the difference between "an interactive login shell" and one that isn't.

I'm not 100% sure in what file to put the script in. But what I want is to run a script when a new shell is started, like when you open the Terminal in Ubuntu/Mac OS X or opens a new tab in the terminal.

Cheers,
- Daniel

--
/Jacob Carlborg