On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 at 14:13:17 UTC, so wrote:
On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 at 12:27:46 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:

Smalltalk and Lisp were already doing in the late 70's, funny how we ended up exchanging such development environments for primitive languages like C in name of performance, only to try to duplicate them almost 50 years later.

Every time I see a live coding demo I can only laugh and remember I was doing that back in 1995 in Smalltalk VisualWorks.

I was ignorant of all of this and took me more than six years to learn such development environments existed and that is by luck (more like hunch). This is still somehow healthy process as i am going forward. What is your excuse? How do you put up with this? You are so much better than me, because i know i couldn't.

I was lucky that my university (FCT/UNL in Lisbon) had a strong focus in compiler design, which made me experiment a lot of languages.

That Smaltalk environment was used for creation of a reversi clone. :)

It is a matter of what you get to pay to do. For example I would also rather do desktop applications than web ones, but here in Germany almost everyone is paying for WebUIs, so I need to put up with it. Similar with programming languages.

Have you ever seen this video of how Lisp machines used to be?

http://www.loper-os.org/?p=932

The later model Ivory was even better. All of this in the 80s.