On Tuesday, 9 April 2013 at 06:42:34 UTC, Rory McGuire wrote:
Could we not still run the basics of the program minus the funding? Perhaps
there are still students and mentors that would be interested
in contributing their time for their name down in the history of D. :)

We could call it DSoC. There would still be an approval process that way everyone knows what is expected and there is still the experience and record of that experience for potential employers to refer to so that
candidates can use the experience for reference.

The D community is stable so I really think this could work (as opposed to
a unstable community where references would mean nothing).
I would be interested in DSoC more than GSoC because I work full-time and
wouldn't be able to put in a full summer of time.

Nice idea. I have been full of envy all the times when D + GSoC happened because you need to be somehow tied to formal education system to apply. Opportunity to work under the mentorship of experienced D developer should be valuable enough on its own, even without funding.