On Sunday, 7 July 2013 at 03:03:03 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
I was bitching to myself and then together with a friend (e-meet
[...]) about how hard it is to do metaprogramming in C++. He
mentioned D is much better at it, and we browsed the online
documentation for D's templates
(http://www.digitalmars.com/d/template.html), which we noticed
(apologies if I am wrong) is not much more more than a
cleaned-syntax version of C++'s templates, which in turn are
[...].

You may hold a different opinion today, and my opinion is worthless this point. But my two cents, I think (1) static-if and (2) making templates independent of classes and functions were both huge steps forward.