On Friday, 2 August 2013 at 18:12:15 UTC, Tofu Ninja wrote:
I will look into adding it my self if I get some time, but I don't think I will need to use this for a while. For what I want it for, there is a lot of legwork to be done before I get around to needing this.

The XML output is handled by this class:
https://github.com/Hackerpilot/Dscanner/blob/master/astprinter.d
It shouldn't be much more difficult than changing the print statements.

Also roughly how difficult would it be to re-create source code from the xml? And does the xml preserve comments and if so does it do anything with ddoc?

Aside from the comments, it should be possible to recreate the source from the AST. If it's not, there's a bug in the AST output. Comments are skipped when syntax checking or generating the AST.