On Monday, 12 August 2013 at 14:34:04 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
That's true. But, correct me if I'm wrong, rpms and the like are bundled independently of the original source repository. So a project relying solely on dub doesn't stop a package maintainer from keeping a separate build script to bundle with the rpm.

Yeah, but imagine creating hard dependency on certain library version in sources (with no real need, something like too specific SONAME) - it requires package maintainer not only to keep bundling script, but also to patch project sources before building. Something maintainers are usually not happy to do :)

It is not that common but forgetting that user environment will be different from yours is kind of easier with all the convenience `dub` brings you.

In general I think keeping packager and developer duties separate is a good/right thing, however, it is much easier when developers think about binary dependencies separately from source ones.