On Thursday, 15 August 2013 at 02:30:42 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Wednesday, August 14, 2013 22:56:30 Andre Artus wrote:
As with many things it depends on what you want to achieve.
Answering on SO is as much about establishing awareness as it is
about answering the question. For a newcomer to D StackOverflow
may be their first port of call, if questions go unanswered, or
are answered after long delays, then the likelihood of the person
persisting with D is diminished.

I answer questions on SO all the time, but I rarely ask anything there, and I never ask anything D-related there. Of course, if my question is D-related, I'm much more likely to _have_ to ask my question here to get a good answer anyway just based on how many people would even know the answer, simply because I know enough that anything I asked would be much more likely to be esoteric and/or require in-depth knowledge. The experts are all here, and only
a small portion of them are on SO.

In any case, I'd say that in general, asking your question on SO gives it more visibility to those outside of the core D community, but you're more likely to get a good answer here than there, because there are more people here, and
this is where the experts are.

- Jonathan M Davis

First off, thank you so much for answering questions on SO. Answers there come up higher in Google search results than questions here, and several of your answers have been very helpful to me. There are others that answer, who I'm also grateful for, but your name always sticks out to me when I see an answer there.

It's true though that there are much better answers (and questions) here than on SO, and I'm beginning to shift my search from Google to the forum search, but this isn't something a newcomer will know to do, especially since many other languages put more emphasis on SO.