On Sunday, 22 September 2013 at 13:13:29 UTC, linkrope wrote:
Have a look at https://github.com/linkrope/dunit, especially at
the "Related Projects".

Until now, my preferred tool for (large-scale) unit testing in D
would be the combination of my dunit framework (of course),
DMocks-revived for mocks, and the 'must' matchers of specd.

I think it's great to see the D unit testing ecosystem growing. Since it's still relatively small, I think we have a good chance here to create interoperability between the different frameworks.

As I see it, we have:

1. Running unit tests

This is where D shines with the builting facility for unit tests. However, it suffers a bit from the fact that, if we use assert, it will stop on the first assertion failure, and there is (as far as I've been able to tell) no reliable way to run specific code before or after all the unit tests. If I'm wrong on that assumption, please correct me, that would simplify the spec running for specd.

In specd, the actual code inside the unittest { } sections only collect results, and the reporting is called from a main() supplied by compiling with version "specrunner" set. I haven't checked to see if your dunit do something similar.

2. Asserting results

Varies from the builtin assert() to xUnit-like assertEquals() to the more verbose x.must.equal(y) used in specd.

This could easily be standardized by letting all custom asserts throw an AssertError, though I would prefer to use another exception that encapsulates the expected and actual result, to help with bridging to reporting.

3. Reporting results

If we have moved beyond basic assert() and use some kind of unit test runner, then we have the ability to report a summary of run tests, and which (and how many) failed.

This is one area where IDE integration would be very nice, and I would very much prefer it if the different unit test frameworks agreed on one standard unit test runner interface, so that the IDE integration problem becomes one of adapting each IDE to one runner interface, instead of adapting each framework to each IDE.

In my experience from the Java and Scala world, the last point is the biggest. Users expect to be able to run unit tests and see the report in whatever standard way their IDE has. In practice this most often means that various libraries pretend to be JUnit when it comes to running tests, because JUnit is supported by all IDEs.

Let's not end up in that situation, but rather work out a common API to run unit tests, and the D unit test community can be the envy of every other unit tester. :)