On Friday, 10 January 2014 at 19:43:08 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
On 12/24/2013 7:37 AM, John Colvin wrote:
On Tuesday, 24 December 2013 at 10:44:56 UTC, extrawurst wrote:
On Sunday, 22 December 2013 at 19:48:03 UTC, John Colvin wrote:

Haven't tried the multiplayer, but it seems a really cool game. It
took an absolute age to load, however.

What exactly took ages ? The download, the loading on startup (unity
logo) or the stack4-splashscreen (logo) ?

the unity logo stayed around with a little spinning tracer in the corner for a long time on first load. It seems to not be as slow on subsequent
loads.

Sounds like it was just Mono JITing the game's assemblies. (Although on some platforms, Unity does AOT compilation - I forget whether Android is one of those.)

Or maybe it was Dalvik JITing Mono itself, but I would think most of mono was written in native C/C++ code, so I dunno. Do you know if you've run any Unity-built program on the device before?

For me, the part you describe only took about a couple seconds the first time (Galaxy S3). What device were you using? I'm curious because I'm using Unity, too (albeit with Nemerle instead of C#, but still).

I don't think i've ever run anything using unity before. Also, I'm on an Intel AZ-210 so it's x86-android, which probably means quite a few untested corner-cases for unity and other libs.