On Sunday, 16 February 2014 at 22:41:59 UTC, Orvid King wrote:

Because, by serializing a pointer, you are implying that mechanism that will be deserializing the value both exists on the same machine, and lies within the same address space, otherwise it will be referencing incorrect data.

No. I'm serializing a pointer by dereferencing and serialize what it points to as I normally would. Then it's indicated in the serialized format it is a pointer. Then when deserializing I just use "new" to get a pointer and just set the values.

It is currently serialized multiple times. Serializing once would require a mechanism to exist on both the serializer and deserializer that understands and can interpret those references. As there is not a standard mechanism in JSON to support this, I haven't actually gotten around to implementing that.

I see.

Woops, that means I simply mis-understood your question. The answer to your actual question is somewhat, there is a single code path for dynamic types, I've only implemented support in a modified version of Destructionator's JSVar library, but it should be possible to add support to Variant without any real issue, that does support javascript's 2 parameter json serialization, there are not however callbacks for the start and end of serialization.

Ok.

It currently retrieves all fields present in the class heirarchy, so if you have classes A, B, and C defined as follows:
class A
{
    @optional
    int aA = 10;
}
class B : A
{
    @serializeAs("Bob")
    int bob;
}
class C : B
{
    int cA;
    @nonSerialized
    int cB;
}

Then calling toJSON on an instance of class C, and have modified the value of aA, it will produce a result containing fields defined as aA, Bob, and cA.

Because cB is marked as @nonSerialized, it is ignored during serialization.

Next, bob is serialized as Bob because it is marked as @serializeAs which is intended to account for the difference in naming conventions between different languages, in this case the source of the serialized data may very well be C#, where the convention is typically PascalCase. We however are programming in D, where, if you're me at least, you use camelCase for fields.

Lastly, if we hadn't modified the value of aA, and it was still 10, it would not be included in serialization results, because it is marked as @optional, and contains the same value it would were it default constructed.

I mean this case:

A c = new C;
toJSON(c); // the static type info of C is lost here

It seems you have limited yourself to what the JSON format supports. I tried to be as flexible as possible. My upcoming modifications to Orange, or rather std.serialization am working on, will have some small differences to the current API of Orange. Although I'm hoping it will be much more flexible then current API.

--
/Jacob Carlborg