On Friday, 7 March 2014 at 11:35:42 UTC, simendsjo wrote:
On 03/06/2014 10:44 PM, Meta wrote:
On Thursday, 6 March 2014 at 21:40:30 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:

Let me Google for myself... :) I've just found the following forum post, listing the number of foreign words in Turkish. I don't know how
scientific it is.

Arabic 6467
French 5253
Persian 1359
English 485
Greek (actually Rum, more like Koine Greek I guess) 400
German 98
Italian 89
Latin 78
Greek 48
Russian 44
Spanish 33
Armenian 24
Slavic 24
Sogdian 24
Bulgarian 19
Japanese 9
Hungarian 9
Korean 1
Hebrew 7
Mongolian 4
Portuguese 3
Norwegian 2
Finnish 2
Albanian 1

Wow, second only to Arabic. Do you know why that is? It's not something that I would expect at all. Even stranger is the fact that there are so few loanwords from the Eastern European countries that actually border

Doesn't look very scientific at all. We have a lot more than 2 foreign words in Norway :)

you got that wrong :) this is a list of languages that turkish language borrowed from. it is not a list of foreign words in the listed languages.

however, it doesn't seem accurate to me as well.