On Thursday, 13 March 2014 at 18:38:45 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
Nick recently did a patch for this one:

we've had a lot of movement on this one

and it pretty well works now waiting on the OK to merge:

Generally though, I don't think the bounties are going to change much behavior; the only issues that will be addressed are the ones that we were going to do anyway, since the dollar amount is just too small to change a business decision.

Take multiple alias this for example. I've looked at the dmd source for that before and judged it would be a pretty big job - probably a week devoted to it, if not more. The bounty is $100.... so that's, what, $2/hour? There's very little practical difference between that and doing it just because I felt like it; financially, I'd be better off flipping burgers. No real change to the incentive.

The difference is though that people are working on problems, hard problems even, with the compiler already for free. I for one wouldn't mind getting a $100 for fixing something I already have an interest in fixing. In other words, I don't think they do any harm.