The D programming language is great, and it is starting to get the recognition it deserves. I've seen it reach the top 20 in many different measures of language popularity.

What it is though, is a systems language. Of course it has many features of a higher-level language, which is what makes it great. But I've had an idea for another language, a high-level language, that is nearly as fast as a similar D program.

What it looks like is a D preprocessor that translates Python-like code into D code. It was done before, and the result was called Delight. I'm reviving this idea (though with entirely new code, since the previous version was with D1).

A short list of the best features (that aren't already a part of D):

* Python-like syntax
* List comprehensions
* "0 .. x" works everywhere, as I would expect it to

If you're interested, check it out at http://github.com/pplantinga/delight. I need people to break it and argue about design decisions.

A more complete description of the language can be found at http://pplantinga.github.io/archives/delight-programming-language.html and related pages.