On Sunday, 6 April 2014 at 11:26:41 UTC, bearophile wrote:
Walter Bright:
Having special syntax for everything makes the language unusable.

While there are ways to reach excesses in every design direction, and make things unusable, the risk discussed here seems remote to me.

Too much syntax diversity for almost the same things leads to a language that is harder to learn, but I think readability has little to do with special syntax, but rather how it is done and how frequently used those constructs are.

You can get syntax diversity with simple formal syntax too. Lisp code often shows signs of this. D and C++ show signs of this with overuse of templates. I find template heavy code to be very poor in terms of readability and well designed special syntax would have been much better in terms of usability.