Am 05.06.2014 11:42, schrieb Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce:
if(cond)
     var = "hello world";
else
     var = 42;

The fact that an if statement could change the type of a variable is just
atrocious IMHO. Maybe I've just spent too much of my time in statically typed
languages, but I just do not understand the draw that dynamically typed
languages have for some people. They seem to think that avoiding a few simple
things that you have to do in your typical statically typed language is
somehow a huge improvement when it causes them so many serious problems that
static languages just don't have.

maybe some sort of misunderstanded generic style
of programming in prior D times :)