On Wednesday, 11 June 2014 at 19:47:56 UTC, Peter Alexander wrote:
On Tuesday, 10 June 2014 at 16:30:31 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
"Leverage" - my talk at Lang.NEXT.

I think this is one of your better D talks. It's refreshing to see honest admittance of the shortcomings of D's features, although I think a little too much time was spent talking about inconsequential parsing quirks with UFCS (you can write goofy looking code in any language).

The GC scan function was a really nice example: short, real, and instructive. In general, I think more example code would help -- it makes everything more concrete.

Good job!

Yes, that example was great. I do wonder if everyone watching understood how neat that code was, particularly those who only use dynamically typed languages but also those unfamiliar with D or C++ templates. It might help to have a slide that expands a template for two different inputs to show what's going on prior to getting to the cool stuff.

Also, I'd give a quick blurb about the template parameter syntax in future talks. It's a bit quirky so I think a sentence or two before getting into examples is helpful. I know I was confused by it the first time I saw it (I think it was something like to!int(var); and I was rather confused by what was going on there).