On Wednesday, 8 October 2014 at 17:39:46 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
Being on the front lines of tech support for 30 years, it is not an unjustified fear nor a hypothetical problem.

What you could do is propose a "secret" switch to all dmd generated programs that the druntime switch checks before main() gets control, such as:

    app --druntimeSet=usexxx ...the regular app args ...

I don't think this would work (without introducing extra hacks) when druntime is used as a shared library. Plus, when writing plugins in D, there might not even be a host D application to handle the command line flags.

I'm not saying that command line arguments can't be made to work in these cases too, just that doing it will likely introduce quite a bit of extra complexity.

David